25 March 2010

Sleeping through Gunfire, Waking up in Rain

It's been raining through the night, so I'm awake a little earlier than normal. The sound of the rain on the tin roof isn't exactly deafening, but it often wakes me up.

On Tuesday night however there was gunfire which woke two friends, living at least a kilometre apart. We slept right through - I don't think it was that close. I noticed in the morning that I'd forgotten to close one of our doors, with a reminder to self to check more carefully in future, reinforced when I heard about the gunfire. Funnily enough I still couldn't find out what had happened last night (with the gunfire - not the rain). Often bad news spreads very quickly.

A few months ago friends had robbers in the compound. When they got up, they realised that one of their doors was not only unlocked, but had been standing ajar all night. The robbers just hadn't noticed. I guess they were in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment