23 April 2010

Why I love Kenyan English ('Hellos everyone')

Lucy Oriang' starts a rather good piece in today's Nation with these words:

"Archbishop Tutu is on record as saying that the truth hurts. If that is so, it has started paining rather too soon for the Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission – and those who want to see this nation heal in their lifetime."

Notice anything Kenyan, not standard British or American English? The verb 'to pain'. It's not in my active vocabulary, but everyone here uses it - even my children. And why not? Each country that uses English has its own form, its own flavour, and 'paining' is part of what I think of as Standard Kenyan English.

When I suggest to my students that there might be such a thing as Standard Kenyan English (hey, let's call it SKE.. or KSE?), they generally look very dubious. While Kenyan English has yet to make it into Microsoft's list of valid varieties, which, last time I looked, included Zimbabwean and South African, I don't think Microsoft should be the arbiter of what's standard and what isn't (though often they are judged to be: realize is just as good as realise in British English, but not according to Microsoft). Kembo-Sure of Moi University argues more strongly for SKE in African Voices (co-authored by Vic Webb).

Expressions such as 'to pain', 'wananchi' (= people, as in the common people, from Swahili), and other Swahili-derived expressions such as 'fundi' (artisan), are used on TV news, in the newspapers, by people with degrees, many of whom speak better English than anything else. My first instinct soon after arriving here when finding such words in assignments was to 'correct' them, but I no longer do so - their use is only proper in Kenyan English. Also, the years of the last decade are uniformly said (even by the president) as 2-0-7, a usage which seems to be common around Africa - a Finnish colleague, just to test the usage, deliberately said 2-0-0-7 to a South African sommelier, who laughed. And some things are pronounced differently: it's a 'sack-red' ibis, not a 'sake-red' one.

And some expressions have different meanings. Soon after arriving here I passed by some people I vaguely knew carrying a heavy load. Would they like a lift? 'It's OK' came the reply. So I drove on. Woops! 'It's OK' here (and in other parts of Africa like Sierra Leone) means 'Yes', not 'I'm fine'. I've told this story to Kenyans a few times, who found it hilarious. I doubt the people I left behind felt the same way.

And then there are the common expressions which you won't find in the newspapers, but which many people use. When greeting more than one person, say 'Hellos', or 'Good Mornings', or 'How are Yous?'. Probably not SKE, but non-standard, while being very friendly. I really enjoy using these expressions. How about yous?


9 comments:

  1. One of my favourite pieces of SKE is the use of the phrase 'politically correct' to mean 'politically well-connected. This is widely used, including regularly in the Daily Nation.
    Many SKE usages come from direct translation from Swahili. For example, if someone asks you where you are going and it is eleven o'clock at night, we may resond, 'what, now?' The SKE response is 'at this time?' A direct translation from Swahili. However, the phrase politically correct has not been around for too long, orid\ginating in the US. I can only assume that someone heard the phrase, did not fully understand it, but liked it and adapted its use.
    There are also SKE spellings. 'Dining' is frequently spelt 'dinning'. And pronounciation. A house with a master bedroom 'en-suite' is almost invariably pronounced 'enn-suit'. I have even said it myself because if you can't beat them ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anon! I hadn't realised what the Kenyan 'politically correct' meant. I like the other examples, and a friend in the property business has told me about the 'en soot' houses. What is one to do with French words?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey.am doing an assignment on the differences between Standard British English and SKE.I have found your post very helpful.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! I'm glad you found it useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing an assignment on the differences between Kenyan, British and American English. this has been really helpful!thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a study on differences between Kenyan Standard English and British Standard English,and your paper helped me a great deal. Thanks a million. Arthur Njume -
    Cameroon

    ReplyDelete
  7. ARTHUR NJUME NDELEY4 May 2011 at 12:45

    I had a study on the differences between Kenyan Standard English AND British Standard English, and your paper helped me a great deal! Thanks a million.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, I'm glad this has been helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Examples given on Kenya English are awesome...'it's ok'..lol

    ReplyDelete