10 May 2010

Writing about someone else's country

This blog is, as the name suggests, primarily about living in Kenya. And I'm not Kenyan. That's not bad, because often the outsider can notice things the insider doesn't (the converse also applies). But it can also go badly wrong, in that any negative comment, or any comment that can appear to be negative, can be taken as evidence that writer looks down on, is contemptuous of, Kenya (or Kenyans). And being from the ex-colonial power, it might not be too hard for someone to believe I'm working from a colonial mentality. And believe me, that's not my goal. Like anywhere, good stuff happens here, as well as bad stuff.

The main problem for this blog is that it makes me less willing to tackle issues where I might like to say something, for fear of offending Kenyans. Just thought I'd let you know!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I want to share with a very useful article. I think this information must know everyone. This article contains 10 things that can easily affect the performance of your brain. For example, do you have a breakfast or ignoring it, how much sugar do you eat everyday and what ecological problems has you town? I advise you to get acquainted with the article material, because it will help you not to harm your health. You can read more on https://tuko.co.ke/196479-how-to-damge-your-brain-in-10-easy-steps.html. Please tell me your opinion about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life in Kenya is its pulse. People try to live happily, though not always. The glory of this country brings local food. Here you can learn about the best products https://tuko.co.ke/198361-10-delicious-photos-somali-foods-will-leave-salivating.html

    ReplyDelete